Monday, July 4, 2011

The University of Cambridge

Let me start by saying that I have found my place of nirvana, jubilee, my little slice of heaven, whatever you want to call it, at the University of Cambridge.

We arriverd yesterday after a two hour coach ride from London (through beautiful rolling hillsides that I of course missed because of the nap I decided to take) to a cobblestone path that we had to roll our suitcases down (about 400 yards). So my first impression? That I was on the most miserable walk of my life. But I quickly realized that it is quite possibly the last time I will be even slightly miserable this entire trip. Because as soon as we finally arrived at Kings college, this is what I saw:
Incredible right? That's the Kings College Chapel. This is just one of the two colleges within the University that I get to go to. The University is over 800 years old. No that isn't a typo, it's been around since the 1200's.

And it has housed so many influential thinkers (the likes of Charles Darwin and Arianna Huffington) that I feel completely out of my league academically. But even Darwin had to start somewhere, right?

My flat is adorable, just down the road from the Cambridge Union Society. And it is huge. I could really get used to these accommodations. So far the classes seem incredible (I've only taken one but the professor has forgotten more about neuroscience than I'll ever know) and everyone's passion for learning is positively intoxicating.

Today's main adventure, besides getting introduced to our first round of classes (and proceeding to read 2 articles about drugs and the mind) was our first formal dinner. All the PKP (Pembroke-King programme) students got dressed up and met at the Queen's college. We were served wine out on the green, where we mingled with other students, before we proceeded to the hall that was decked to the ends in Queen's College seals and colors. Paintings hung around the room (We noted Darwin and the Queen) and all 300 of us had seats.

We enjoyed lots of laughs, and a 5 course meal (including apple pie!). It was an incredible meal, and great company. I have to say I'm becoming quite fond of my little England family. We're having great laughs, and of course learning loads about the culture and life outside of the US.

Afterwards, we headed to the pub to celebrate the 4th of July! What a great way to celebrate Independence Day, in the country we emancipated from. It's kind of ironic but I think that studying in this country today is making me realize just how wonderful the American freedom is. We can move anywhere, do anything, our possibilities are endless. And in a time and place where your every move is tracked by CCTV cameras I am very thankful for the freedom and trust instilled to me by the United States government. I'm not saying that it's a violation of privacy or anything like that in the UK, but it's definetly a new experience. And because some 200 years ago men gathered to declare our independence, I can travel with the safety and security knowing that I am an American citizen, and I take great pride in that.

Being here makes me my best. And I have to say, I've met what seems like dozens of people who attend Harvard or Yale here, and suddenly those places don't seem so far off or so much greater than Ohio State. Because fact is, 4 OSU students were accepted (along with plenty of other non-Ivy League students). So we're going to go ahead and count this one as a win for the Buckeyes :)

More later, love for now, Tess

No comments:

Post a Comment