Sunday, August 14, 2011

Journeys.

This weekend, my main task was to read "Radical Hope: Ethics in the face of Cultural devastation" and write papers on ethics and Winston Churchill (A man who is an incredible demonstration of the human personality)

As I do all of this, I find myself in a state of introspection. The question for my philosophy paper I had to answer, "What ought I to do" is one that philosophers have been trying to answer since the time of Aristotle. And while I like the answer I have composed to my paper, it left me thinking about how much a product of my family's culture I am.

Which made me think about the things that really are important in life. And they aren't this computer I'm typing on, or the clothes I'm wearing, or even this paper I am writing. It's the conversations. The moments spent with people I love. The experiences.

This trip has opened my eyes to the reality of my own personal situation. It has opened my eyes to the idea that there are very different ways of living, outside of the one I pursue in Columbus, OH.


Take, for instance, life here in Cambridge. It's a quaint life. We don't have wireless, there isn't a television, you walk wherever you need to go, and moments of stress are handled through conversation and a cup of tea. And this is spectacular.

Wireless isn't a necessity because everything you can do with it you can do with an ethernet cord. Televisions aren't necessary because you spend time with friends deep in conversation, running outside, enjoying the sun or reading books. And the conversation I was talking about? Incredible. There is a standard of respect here that doesn't exist in the states. You listen to what other have to say. You articulate your words. You aren't so hurried ever that there isn't time for a proper cup of tea or coffee.

I have eliminated the rush in my life. There is an endless amount of time simply because I am no longer wasting it. I don't sit for hours on facebook or twitter, and I'm not wasting time on hulu. I'm reading books, I'm opening my eyes to the beauty all around me. Beauty that is existent outside of the UK, it's all over the world. As long as I am looking for it.

I have new passions. New loves. New desires. New friendships. The UK has been a life-changing process. I've altered my routines. I've changed the way I think about time, and I'm better for it.

Americans live to work. Europeans work to live. It's a truth that I learned about in sociology last winter, but I don't think I ever really believed. Here's to hoping I live as a European for the rest of my life.

Ask questions. Expect answers. Have conversation. Turn the television off, completely off just for one day. Go a day without access to a computer. Forget unlimited texting, and have real conversations. These are goals I'm setting for myself when I return to the States, and I hope that the laid-back lifestyle I currently inhabit is one that I live forever. Try it yourself. You  might just be surprised.

I'm glad that my journey here in Cambridge hasn't come to an end yet, but I would be lying if I said I weren't dreading that day, 13 days from now, when I will be on an 11 hour journey home. But the truth is, that isn't the end of the journey. There are no endings in life. There are no new beginnings. There is just life. There are days, there are journeys. And from here on, I want to keep my eyes open to these journeys, and thankful for every single moment.

More later, love for now, Tess.

1 comment:

  1. I'm still loving the journey my fgd...especially when I remember to be so thankful...you have to read the book we are blogging about...it is a faith perspective on just what you wrote. I am looking forward to a proper cup of coffee with you darlin...and a viewing of THE collection!!

    ReplyDelete